Thursday, March 6, 2008

Counseling & Therapy

My dad is a social worker and does counseling for individuals and married couples. He also does counseling for women with Postpartum Depression at an O.B. clinic in Ogden, Utah. I have grown up with counseling as a part of life just like anything else. It is normal in my eyes but I am the minority. Most people look at it as weird or only for "crazy people." I would argue that every day of the week. Therapy is not for the birds.

Ashlynn and I went to counseling during the summer of 2005 I think. We went because I was CONVINCED she was mean and rude. I was determined that the therapist would show her the error of her ways and convince her to shape up. After all, I had grown up with my dad as a councilor and surely I would know when behavior is out of line.

After our first visit I really learned something new... I WAS THE ONE WITH THE PROBLEM! How funny is that! I was the one pushing for counseling and blaming Ashlynn but turns out I was the one causing all the grief. Go figure. After four visits, the lady told us we did not need to come back. She put me in my place and to be truthful I wanted our issues to be resolved so I did what I need to do to make things better. Things have been great ever since because we learned skills on how to act when problems come so they don't become a real issue later!

We still fight and have our moments but nothing like it was. Counseling saved our marriage. My reason for this post is to say counseling is normal. It is not normal to live with an elephant in the living room and walk around it every day pretending it is not there. Counseling has also allowed us to forgive and love each other in a more intimate way. We are the better for it. The money is worth it so don't let that stand in your way if you are thinking you need counseling. I was surprised what I found after counseling and if you suspect you need it, you will never know how good marriage can be until you do it.

The picture is in Gjovik, Norway.

7 comments:

Ashlynn {mamabear} said...

For sure! The best is that we were asked to be temple ordinance workers just after we finished counseling - we didn't think we should ... but oh how wrong we were! It made our marriage even better. Lucky us.

I think both our families should invest in some counseling as a group - no more elephants!

Coby Mitchell said...

Everyone could use some for one purpose or another. NO MORE ELEPHANTS! Hey, maybe that should be our code word?

Ashlynn {mamabear} said...

HMMM ... I would prefer something not so odd so that when it happens in front of others they don't think we are cookoo!

Coby Mitchell said...

BORING!

Erica Onelove said...

I like that you guys are arguing over a code word in this post....

Haha!

Ashlynn {mamabear} said...

ARGG - fight fight.

carly k said...

You guys are funny! Amen about counseling! Saved my marriage (and sanity) more than once!